Friday, November 25, 2011

The Scale (insert foreboading music)



It's actually a bit of a controversial topic...How often should you weigh yourself?

I'm going to give you MY opinion.

I'll be honest, I chucked the scale years ago. I weigh myself if I'm somewhere with a scale (family, gym, etc...) but I don't own one and I don't plan to buy one.

I, like most people, get obsessed with the number. That number can dictate my entire day. Up a pound? Horrible day. Down a pound? Fantastic day. No change? Probably a horrible day.

It's sad, but very true and very common.

Some people will tell you to weigh yourself weekly. I still think this is a bad idea...especially for women. Our weight is affected my hormones! PMS can cause weight gain. Yes, there are things you can do to help prevent this (diet, exercise, extra water) but you can't prevent it totally. Weight training can also mess with the numbers.



A pound of muscle is not as big as a pound of fat. So you might not look different when you start weight training, but the numbers may go up. You may go down 2 pants sizes but be HEAVIER than when you started.

I recommend having a goal SIZE or an EXERCISE goal. Are you a size 12? Buy a size 10 pair of pants and try them on once a month. Or, take pictures at the first of each month and compare your progress. Or make it a goal to increase your endurance (Do you take fewer rest breaks during that intense video? That's progress!!)

If you want to weigh yourself I would say do it once a month. I know that's radical! I know that's difficult! I also know that it can be done!

*Disclaimer: If you have a medical condition that requires weight monitoring then listen to your DOCTOR instead of me! I know a woman who had her thyroid removed and now has to weigh herself each morning because a large fluctuation can indicate a serious problem. Always always know your limits.

What do you think? Do you own a scale? How often do you weigh in? Do you let numbers dictate your day?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...