Friday, December 9, 2011

Ban The Cell Phones?

The NYT (That's The New York Times...I'm trying to be cool and abbreviate things...is it working?) put out an article recently on gyms struggling to ban cellphone usage.

LIKE movie theaters and libraries, many fitness clubs have insisted for years that their workout areas should be cellphone-free. Their logic is as simple and straightforward as a push-up: they want to prevent people from yakking on their phones and annoying the fitness buffs who want to crank out reps and mileage in relative peace. Safety is another reason, because texting while running on a treadmill can be hazardous to your health.

It's not just annoying and unsafe...privacy is coming into the discussion. I know that I am NOT sexy when I work out. I'm also really self conscious about going to the gym. A lot of people struggle with the "I need to be in shape to go to the gym" mentality. If I thought that someone could be videotaping or photographing me I'd be even MORE nervous.

But should phones be banned?

My thought? Yes.

Hear me out...barring an emergency situation you should be focused on working out when you're at the gym.  For me, gym time is ME time. I want to be inside my own head and that's it. I use my phone as an mp3 player but I do not chat. I'll call my husband (because he's usually my ride) when I'm done and that's it. You'll survive 30mins without checking Facebook. If you want to walk and chat with your BFF go outside and walk on the track. Really, you should be focusing on YOU.

What about people chatting it up in person? They should stop too. I don't go to the gym to socialize. I know, I'm a loser like that. Again, it's ME time. Working out is when I, well, work things out mentally. I don't need to hear about your date from last night while I'm thinking about my business or focusing on my breathing during a sprint.


What do you think? Is it okay to socialize at the gym?

1 comment:

  1. I actually disagree. I don't like to work out, I focus on it and it feels like work. When I can talk on the phone, or stick some headphones on a listen to music, or watch a movie, I am distracted. When I am distracted, time goes faster. I also don't get alot of ME time, and sometimes use that time to reconnect with other people. I wouldn't go to a gym that didn't allow me to use my phone.

    ReplyDelete

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...